Radius is a global innovation and development consulting firm serving the healthcare, packaging, consumer, and commercial / industrial markets. At Radius, our secret ingredient is our people. We hire talented individuals with a passion for delivering results who know how to design, develop and deliver products that are better than anything on the market today. We enable multi-disciplinary teams of product strategists, researchers, designers, human factors specialists, engineers, quality, and manufacturing experts who thrive on solving our clients’ most complex challenges and bringing innovative products to market.
Join our award winning team if you want to sharpen your skills and geek out on a variety of projects. It goes without saying; we offer a dynamic, fast-paced work environment with plenty of growth opportunities, excellent compensation and benefits.
We are currently searching for a unique and talented Lead Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in product development to join our Chicago studio. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a history of creative problem solving, mastery of engineering principles, and practical knowledge of manufacturing processes. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a passion for product development are essential to our teams.
The Lead Electrical Engineer will be responsible for architecting and executing or overseeing the design, prototyping, and testing of innovative products and systems. You’ll collaborate with our inter-disciplinary project teams and help our clients deliver exiting innovations to end-users. In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Engage early in the proposal process to help assess and understand clients’ needs
- Provide electrical engineering input for project planning, budgeting, risk management
- Participate on product development teams with responsibility for the quality and content of electrical engineering project work, including interaction and collaboration with clients.
- Contribute engineering knowledge and experience on a wide range of early-stage projects, including technical feasibility, architecture generation, power budgeting, etc.
- Circuit development and analysis, including schematics and simulation, component specification, BOM development, and sourcing
- Inform, oversee, and review PCB layouts
- Manage the project work of additional on-site or remote team members
- Liaise with contract manufacturers, including manufacturing quality and test planning
- Bring-up and qualify PCBs and systems
- Maintain a high standard of customer service and professional guidance
- Promote a results oriented culture of teamwork, respect, excellence, integrity and accountability
- Conceptualize ways of providing new and improved value to our customers
- BS, Electrical Engineering or equivalent, advanced degree a plus
- At least 12+ years of electrical engineering experience with embedded products
- Successful engagement across the product development process, from conceptual architecture through detailed DFM and transition to manufacturing
- Direct engagement with clients / key stakeholders during development of proposals / plans, and throughout the project for status updated
- Experience in discipline level planning and task delegation for a small team of electrical engineers, program management experience a plus
- Experience designing battery-powered products with wireless technologies (BLE, WiFi, WAN)
- Experience designing ARM Microcontroller Boards with Freescale iMX6 experience a plus.
- Experience designing Microchip microcontroller boards with M0/M3/M4 experience a plus.
- Program management experience a plus
- A working knowledge of design controls for commercial and medical products, and familiarity with contemporary manufacturing methods for medical and consumer products
- Hands on experience in hardware test and validation, experience with regulatory certification of products a plus
- Direct experience in the product development consulting business a plus
- Experience transitioning high-volume products to off-shore contract manufacturers a plus
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
This role requires an individual who demonstrates flexibility in their consulting subject matter and yet has a polished, not over-bearing, delivery style. Ability to collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work across a diverse range of platforms, architectures, processors, analog and digital circuits is critical. More specifically, a successful candidate will have the following skills
- System architecture design and trade analysis
- Working knowledge of the latest technologies for wireless applications
- Development of board-level circuits, specifically for embedded systems
- Design for electromagnetic compatibility using off the shelf and custom components
- RF certification experience a plus
- Excellent hands-on instrumentation, lab, and analytic skills
- Part creation and schematic design (preferably in Altium)
- Oversight and review PCB layouts (preferably in Altium)
- Hands-on PCBA bring-up, debug, and magic-smoke-taming
- Implementation of Programmable Logic Devices (CPLD, FPGA) in embedded systems
- Programming for embedded systems
- Test plan development and execution
- A strong understanding of product design strategy and execution
- Strong team player, able to collaborate and mentor other disciplines on integration with electronics
- Ability to “see the big picture” during early client discussions, articulating their needs back to them for confirmation
- Development of detailed project plans and budgets
- Understanding of 3D modeling a plus
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work on a variety of projects in parallel
- Motivated, takes initiative, and excels at motivating others
- Participate in providing direction, vision and planning throughout the duration of projects
- Professional in manner and appearance
- Excellent command of spoken and written communication
- Strategic thinker, logical and methodical, results-driven
- Flexibility and adaptability of approach, focused on finding a workable solution to every problem
- Sound judgment and attention to detail
- Creative, with a great sense of humor
Radius is an award-winning design and innovation firm helping clients realize their brand strategy by designing compelling product solutions. Our teams engage in multiple markets, including consumer, medical, wearables, IoT, packaging, and converging markets. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, and fun environment with outstanding compensation packages.
Interested in applying? Submit your resume by clicking here. You will be directed to apply for this Radius position at Jabil.com, our corporate partner’s website.
Jabil is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.