LEAD ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
Radius (A Jabil Company) is a global strategy and innovation consulting firm serving the IoT, Digital, consumer, healthcare, packaging and commercial/industrial markets. At Radius, our secret ingredient is our people. We hire talented individuals with a passion for delivering results that know how to discover, design, develop and deliver products that are better than anything on the market today. We build multi-disciplinary teams of business strategists, researchers, designers, human factors specialists, engineers, quality, and manufacturing experts who thrive on solving our clients’ most complex challenges for bringing successful products to market.
Join our award-winning team if you want to sharpen your skills and geek out on a variety of projects. It goes without saying; we offer a dynamic, fast-paced work environment with plenty of growth opportunities, excellent compensation, and benefits.
We are currently searching for a unique and talented Lead Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in product development to join our office in Chicago, IL. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a history of creative problem solving, a mastery of engineering principles, a demonstrated history of embedded hardware and software development, and a practical knowledge of manufacturing processes. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a passion for product development are essential to our teams.
A Lead Electrical Engineer leads design teams focused on significant and unique design projects and challenges. Delivers projects through the entire product development process into production. As a Lead, you will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in areas that matches or exceeds the expertise of customers. Consults on system architectures, assess technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting and oversee design progressions during product developments. Mentors and leads others in the organization to build team members design capability.
A Radius Lead Electrical Engineer wears many hats: Consultant, Subject Matter Expert, Program Manager, and Mentor. How many hats do you wear?
- Explore, develop, and deliver innovative solutions in alignment with product development strategic direction and operational priorities while deftly navigating our client’s uncertainty
- Be flexible and adaptable and know how and when to pivot
- Balance the technical activities with project, timeline and budget risks and weigh all avenues against client’s market and product launch goals
- Provide industry expertise and engineering insight to guide and advise our customers through conceptualization to design validation
Subject Matter Expert
- Investigate new technologies and apply advanced engineering principles and practices to solve complex technical problems
- Be a recognized mechanical engineering leader both within and outside the company. Lead specification, design, and testing efforts
- Lead product development strategic planning, scheduling, budgeting, proposal writing, and project resource management
- Maintain an effective, cross-functional collaborative Radius workplace as well as the financial vitality of the business
- Predict our client’s and project needs and determine appropriate course-corrections
- Provide leadership and mentoring to continually improve the team and increase capability
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads embedded hardware design and validation on significantly challenging and unique product applications
- Leads new and unique embedded hardware design and PCB layout designs utilizing standard tools
- Supports development of Embedded Software for a variety of embedded and mobile target systems
- Delivers solutions that require multiple Electrical design expertise across multiple EE competencies with limited supervision.
- Conveys technical solutions for areas of competence both to other engineers and to business personnel.
- Works with engineering team to develop final product solution for chosen architecture within time and cost constraints.
- Leads system architecture analysis and clarify design requirements to define the appropriate EE architecture for the design team.
- Evaluating/selecting electronic components, and makes recommendations to component mfg, regarding roadmaps and feature enhancements
- Communicates technical aspects of a project effectively to customer, and can lead some customer engagements.
- Lead design innovations and potential patentable solutions
- Lead resolution of complex design issues and manages design trade-offs
- Train/coach other engineers in design analysis and tools
- Travel up to 20%
This Lead Electrical Engineer will be responsible for architecting and executing or overseeing the design, prototyping, and testing of innovative products and systems. You’ll collaborate with our inter-disciplinary project teams and help our clients deliver exiting innovations to end-users. In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Engage early in the proposal process to help assess and understand clients’ needs
- Provide electrical engineering and software / firmware input for project planning, budgeting, risk management
- Participate on product development teams with responsibility for the quality and content of EE/SW project work, including interaction and collaboration with clients.
- Contribute engineering knowledge and experience on a wide range of early-stage projects, including technical feasibility, architecture generation, power budgeting, etc.
- Development of software in C/C++, Qt, Java or Objective C for a variety of embedded and mobile target systems
- Familiarity with the development of Machine Learning Training Models with experience deploying those models on embedded systems.
- Familiarity with VHDL programming for FPGA development, hands-on programming experience a plus.
- Circuit development and analysis, including schematics and simulation, component specification, BOM development, and sourcing
- Inform, oversee, and review PCB layouts
- Experience with use of Source Control tools and oversight of same for team members
- Familiarity with Regulatory Development requirements associated with Software and Hardware systems for medical products
- Manage the project work of additional on-site or remote team members
- Liaise with contract manufacturers, including manufacturing quality and test planning
- Bring-up and qualify PCBs and systems
- Maintain a high standard of customer service and professional guidance
- Promote a results-oriented culture of teamwork, respect, excellence, integrity and accountability
- Conceptualize ways of providing new and improved value to our customers
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Electrical Engineering Degree (BSEE/MSEE/PHD or equivalent experience)
- 8+ years experience in embedded hardware design or other key competency
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Experience with the development of Medical Products is preferred, as is work experience in a consulting business environment.
- Experience with Altium PCB Design tools is also desired as is hands-on experience developing mobile apps and Application programs for PC target environments.
- Hands-on Software Development experience with low power embedded devices and connected mobile apps
- Broad knowledge developing high complexity projects that have required multiple Electrical Engineering Design specializations or competencies: Power supply Theory, Digital theory, Analog theory, RF Design, etc.
- In-depth knowledge and use of key development tools and design standards: Component derating, DFMEA, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, simulation tools, etc.
Jabil, including its subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Open positions at this studio
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Radius is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles regardless of race, color. religious creed, sex, national origin citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parents, military or veteran status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.